Washoe Country School District
Student Wellness Policy
The Student Wellness Policy - Classroom Celebrations, Food as a Reward, Fundraisers, Vending Machines, Competitive Sales & More
Nut Policy: WCSD is considered a "nut-free" school district. Nuts are prohibited from all meals and snacks provided by the Nutrition Services department, as well as all foods sold in vending machines, school stores, fundraisers, etc. which operate or occur during school hours (thirty minutes prior to school start through thirty minutes after school end)."
Snack Calculator for School & Classroom Events
Snack Calculator: Does your snack meet Wellness Policy standards?*
Select "Washoe" and then select the Snack Food type before inputting the nutritional information.
*The Student Wellness Policy applies only to what schools sell or offer/give to students -- not to what students bring from home for individual consumption. There is no requirement that teachers or principals have to "screen" food or drink brought from home for individual student consumption.
Getting Back To The Dinner Table in 2012!
Saving Dinner Fundraising provides busy parents with the tools needed to prepare healthy family meals and answer that dreaded question, "What's for dinner?" The program offers healthy meal-planning products families can really use. Earn 50% profit from every sale of Saving Dinner ebooks and menus with this unique online fundraiser! Just set up your profile and let the power of email, your website, Facebook and Twitter do the work for your organization. Everything is handled online -- Promotion, payment collections, product delivery and sales tracking. No door-to-door sales, inventory storage or upfront investment required. innovative meal planning digital products that helps families save time and money at affordable prices. Finally a Healthy Fundraising Program parents can feel good about -- no more candy bars or cookie dough. Bring Saving Dinner to your school - click here for more info! Or send Saving Dinner an email right now by clicking here!
Click the link above for even more great healthy celebration ideas for birthdays, monthly holidays, and other special events!
- Have a scavenger hunt for items or information in the classroom or around the school. Have children search for items related to the party theme.
- Provide "free choice" activity time at the end of the day.
- Provide extra recess time.
- Celebrative creatively by setting up craft stations and playing music in the background. Ask parents to provide the supplies such as clay, craft paper, pencils, markets, paints, and stickers.
- Plan special party games.
- Have a dance party.
- Read a children's book related to the party theme.
- Allow children a trip to the treasure box (parents can supply it with small toys, books, note pads, paints, etc.).
- Allow students to pick a book of their choice and ask the principal or a parent to come in and read it.
* * *
If you have any questions regarding the WCSD Student Wellness Policy, please contact your school principal or call the Nutrition Services Center at 775-353-5930.