Washoe Country School District
General Counsel / Legal Division
With an emphasis on superior customer service, the Office of the General Counsel will represent the Washoe County School District in any and all appropriate legal matters, cases, opinions, issues and questions as well as provide counsel and training to District staff, thereby contributing to the District's mission to graduate every student college and highly skilled career ready.
The Office of the General Counsel
- Renders all necessary legal opinions for the Board of Trustees, and represent the Board in specific problems and issues requiring the services of legal counsel.
- Provides appropriate legal assistace to District staff by providing advice related to guardianship/custody issues, contract review, and representation in legal matters where the District is a named party and/or the named staff member was acting within the course and scope of his/her employment. Click here for a list of Frequently Asked Questions.
- Partners with other District offices/departments to provide trainings in such areas as FERPA and employee discipline. Click here for presentation/training materials.
The Administrative Investigators Office
- Investigates allegations of misconduct involving District employees and work in conjunction with the Office of Human Resources - Labor Relations Department to address any such misconduct.
The Office of the General Counsel has mapped several of its processes. Use the following links to view them:
- Legal Case Management
- Legal Case Management - Non-Litigation
- Formal Complaint Process - Staff
- Formal Complaint Process - Students
- The Additional Resources page will provide links to Board Policy, state law and other valuable sources of information.
Randy A. Drake, Esq., Chief General Counsel
Christopher B. Reich, Esq., General Counsel
Lisa Scurry, Legal Assistant
Walter Lyman, Jr., Administrative Investigator
W. Mike Morton, Administrative Investigator
This webpage is maintained by Lisa Scurry, Executive Assistant, WCSD Office of the General Counsel.